Sunday, April 17, 2011

My travelers translation guide is titled `Lonely Planet´. I completely understand why!

After the longest day(s) of travel I will likely ever endure we were excitedly greeted at the airport by Rotarians - I let Quinn attempt the correct titles and name spellings! We traveled by van another 3 hours to reach our final destination (for the next ten days) in Santa Maria. We then were introduced to our first host families. I was kindly greeted by Antonio and his wife Eveli along with thier wonderful children Ju and Adriano. Ju and Adriano.....speak english pretty well! Oh, and I was also greeted by their dog (who I might add adores me)! I can tell by all the viscious barking he excitedly greeted me with! By my estimation he is about 150 pounds of massive muscle German Shepard. You can imagine my delight when Ju greeted me in English! Its the most unfamiliar feeling to be submerged into a culture where you cannot communicate. Again, I completely understand why my travelers translation guide is titled Lonely Planet. Like Quinn noted we merely arrived at our host families and we were invited to the All Women´s Rotary celebration. So I quickly showered (first time in 36 hours), and was accompanied to the celebration. We ate good food and listened to a ton of converstations and speeches that I am sure were all very good (at one point I may have heard my name and someone pointed at us....hmm). Just smile and wave! I did recognize a Lady Gaga song! We were brought home at about 1:00 am. I kissed the picture of my family goodnight, fell into bed and pure exhaustion took over from there....I woke in the same position! Today a barbaque will be held by my gracious host family. More great converstation attempts to begin! I feel just as sorry for them. It´s an ongoing game of pictionary and charades! A special hello goes out to my favorite classrooms at Solway Elementary School! Hello to all and hugs to Isaiah and Ethan! More to come.........

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you made it there safely!! Thanks for the update. From the sounds of it you are off to a great adventure. You missed out on 8 inches of heavy wet snow yesterday!!! I think mother nature forgot it was spring...Today (Sunday) the sun is out and hopefully melting some of this annoying snow! I hope you are enjoying all the different experiences. Take care! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your adventure if off to a great start. It's snowing (again) today. I can't wait for more updates.

    ReplyDelete