Tuesday, April 19, 2011

April 19th

Another long day scattering about while trying to anticipate where we may be heading or what we may possibly be doing. Plans change often so you have to prepare yourself to fly by the seat of your pants....literally when you are driving with brazilians! Automobiles, bikes, motorcycles, people and even sometime a horse and buggy all on the same small bumpy narrow road. . . oh, random wandering dogs too. Also horses and cows graze openly in ditches and roadsides. But, brazilians slow for nothing and I mean NOTHING! One of my hostesses today held my hand as we crossed the roads...so sweet and SO necessary!
Today we left our homes at about 9:00 am and drove to Velho Amancio Vineyard for a tour. It was a very beautiful (´bonita´ in portuguese - see I am learning ) vineyard. It has been family owned and operated for several generations so its fun to see how a family runs such a successful business together.
We then drove up the Perau Mountain road and Itaara. It was beautiful and lush with forest and flowers. More pictures and attempts of speaking portuguese with our host drivers.
We ventured downtown afterwards to view the cathedrals, churches, theatre, and several (meaning hundreds) of random vendors. People are selling a lot of Easter baskets right now.
Coffee and pastries as always were wonderful......´mystery in the middle´ is how I refer to them, you never know what your going to get. Some good and some not so much.
Arrived home at about 7:00 pm and my host family and I are going to have supper together since, sadly, tomorrow I have to switch to another host (which Im sure will be just as wonderful). My family is going to visit parents/grandparents in Florianopolis in SC. They will take a bus 12 hours to see them.
No run-ins with spiders or lizards today (or rabid dogs) which always make my day easier. Also, Simba, the family bear has not eaten me yet but boy does he want to!!
So all in all, God only knows what I answered yes (sim) to today. But, I have not been kicked out of the country yet. So, God willing, another update tomorrow. . .

Solway fan club - hope you are enjoying hearing of my adventures...and that it is!! I can´t wait to share pictures and goodies with you when I return. My host mother has a fantastic candy dessert dish called Ambrosia. I plan to share this with you when I return. No spiders today! I am visiting an elementary school tomorrow so I am very excited to give them your pen pal letters and nice pictures you created. Isaiah and Ethan - hugs and kisses from mom! Have a wonderful Easter! Save some candy for me!! XOXO
Oh, and my host family in Santa Maria have a gift for you too!
Talk and update again very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment